Tuesday, May 1, 2012

England Clay Tour: The First Two Weeks

I am finally (mostly) over my jet lag after returning home from a month-long trip to England last Thursday.  The first two weeks of my time in England were spent inside a shack in the Devon countryside of Southwest England with Doug Fitch.  Doug was kind enough to share his studio space with me and we worked together to fill and fire his wood kiln.  He even arranged for me to have my own digs in the form of a camper caravan parked studio side!  Working with Doug's low fire earthenware clay, slip, and glaze was a new and exciting experience for me (yeah, cheap thrills for this clay nerd :D  ).  It was really great to spend time with Doug in his space, a rare opportunity to be immersed in the ways of another potter and studio.  I have put together a YouTube playlist of Doug's videos from my time at his studio here.  Thanks Doug!

ps, what do you think of the new face of my blog?

Onggi meets English Slipware.




Doug in his element.  photo: Claire Borlase




Home sweet home!




New Friend.




Carving + dark slip + light slip + finger wipes.




Doug's jugs.



Doug pulling a handle.




Portrait by Doug's friend Claire Borlase

5 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

Lucky you. What a great way to spend a couple of weeks in Devon.

The Potter's Wife said...

Great pics Adam.

doug Fitch said...

Great to see these again, it hardly seems possible it was this year. I hope we get to play with clay together some time. I had a guy through today from Colorado called Barry Krzywicki, who says you're going to be doing a workshop at his place. Small world this pottery world. I hope all's good with you and yours, cheers Doug

Adam Field said...

Good to hear from you Doug, it is hard to believe that it was this year, lots happened since, eh? Yeah, that is funny how small this little clay world is! I'm hatching a plan that would allow for us to get to play with clay and fire again, hopefully it doesn't take too long to come to be. All the best to you and your family.
Best,
Adam

Unknown said...

Great. Reminds me of the time when I use to throw pottery.

Emily
www.potterymarket.co.uk